The Dental Council of India (DCI) has issued guidelines for dental colleges, dental students and dental professionals enlisting measures to prevent transmission, reduce the impacts of the outbreak, and support control measures.
The measure are as follows for:
Undergraduates and interns –
- All Dental Colleges should abide to current situation and work from home, which is based on various Office orders or notifications of the Government of India, State Governments, Statutory Bodies and District administration. Professional Educational Institutions have been asked to close completely or asked to suspend classes and offer teaching learning using technology and working from home.
- Similarly several guidelines have been given by the Government of India and its autonomous bodies to use various learning resources, technology platforms and innovative teaching approaches. The students have been advised to study from home, maintain social distancing and restrict their movements from their present place of stay.
- The Principals I Heads of the Institutions of Dental Colleges are hereby advised to take essential steps and put up the necessary schedule and structure in place so that the faculty are able to engage in online teaching to the dental students and complete the curriculum through remote teaching for as long as the Institutions have been asked to remain closed by the Government and the District authorities in different parts of the country.
- The Principals / Heads of the Institutions of Dental Colleges may share the learning resources in advance through their website, email to students and other learning apps I platforms that are available in this regard. The Institutions /Faculty may document the details of classes taken, the students engaged, the percentage of attendance, assignments given and their assessment.
- The Principals I Heads of the Institutions of Dental Colleges may develop standardised video demonstration materials using various virtual platforms for all dental students.
- The examining authorities are also advised to take cognizance of the same towards fulfilment of academic requirements for allowing a student to take up examination.
- The Principals I Heads of the Institutions of Dental Colleges may direct all departments to maintain attendance and record of assignments given to the students.
- Dental Colleges should encourage students to engage in self-learning, make full use of online resources and learn about the latest academic developments.
- The Principals I Heads of the Institutions of Dental Colleges should facilitate and provide access to E-library facility to all dental students.
- During this period, it is easy for students to be affected by disease associated fear and pressure, dental colleges should be prepared to provide professional psychological services to those who need them.
- The Principals and the Head of the Institutions are required to submit the details of the efforts taken by them in extending teaching modules which have been utilised during this time in an objective manner.
Interns related postings –
- All Interns may not have the opportunity to complete their compulsory rotary one year internship in compliance with regulations due to the prevailing health emergency conditions and decisions may be taken in accordance to various Office orders or notifications of the Government of India, State Governments, Statutory Bodies and District administration.
- This recommendation is proposed with the objective of letting the passing out graduates to pursue career ambitions without loss of time and delay in obtaining the academic qualifications.
- During this period, all interns are assessed for disease associated fear and pressure. Dental colleges should be prepared to provide psychological services to those who need them.
- Dental Colleges should encourage Interns to engage in self-learning, make full use of online resources like webinars and learn about the latest academic developments.
POST GRADUATE STUDENTS ACADEMIC ACTIVTIES:
1. All routine academic activities like Seminars, Journal Clubs and other discussions may be carried out using various learning resources, technology platforms and innovative teaching approaches.
2. The Department may document the details of academic activities conducted, the students engaged, the percentage of attendance and assignments given and their assessment.
1. All routine clinical activities of all specialities are deferred and for emergency dental care, follow the guidelines mentioned below.
2. Reappoint previous ongoing patients till further notice and keep a record of the same.
THESIS RELATED WORKS: Keeping in view that the students who are registered for M.D.S. Course and are in the process of conducting their thesis and may not, be able to submit in time or able to appear for examination before the examiner in person in the present circumstances the Dental Council of India recommends that
1. The student and the Guide may determine whether the work done for the thesis is in compliance with regulatory requirements and complete the follow up as remotely as possible. Any clinical follow up should be deferred and organised at a more appropriate time. The same should be noted and mentioned in all records.
2. The submission of thesis will be deferred in accordance to the existing situation and the local examining university or authority will decide upon and provide necessary timelines.
To view the official notice, click on the following link: