Monsoon is a fun and refreshing time for everyone, especially kids. After a long scorching summer, the cool breeze and the rains feels like a treat to us. Many children often like getting wet in the rain and that really can be a lot of fun for them. However, apart from the good things, the sudden change in the weather can bring all sorts of germs and bacteria that cause infections and diseases. Here are some foods for kids that they should eat and avoid during rainy season:
Foods that boost the child’s immunity during rainy season
Following are some foods that parents should try to include in their kids’ diet so that his/her immune system becomes strong enough to fight off diseases:
- Garlic: Garlic is rich in anti-oxidants that help in boosting immunity and aso in regulating their body’s mechanism.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a superfood having anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. That is why turmeric is a must have during rainy seasons.
- Green vegetables: Green vegetables are rich in nutrients and are very healthy to eat during rainy season, They build up the immunity systems of the kids and help them fight off infections.
- Seasonal fruits: It is very important to eat season fruits during rainy season. They are packed with a number of nutrients and also help the children to fight off any disease or infection.
- Dal: Dal is rich in proteins which are very much essential for kids during raining season. It gives a lot of energy and keep the immunity system of the kids strong and healthy.
- Soups: Hot soups give a lot of warmth and comfort during rainy season, that is very much needed. Soups are one of the best things to make your children drink during rainy season.
- Dry fruits, nuts and seeds: These are the best option for tea time snacks for kids. Cashews, walnuts and almonds help a lot during rainy season.
- Beetroot: Beetroot contains numerous amounts if vitamins, folic acids, minerals and potassium. It is very healthy and detoxifies the body. Kids may experience a lot of stamina after having beetroot.
- Kadha: Making your kids drink kadha in rainy season will ensure that their immunity system is boosted and they are very well able to fight off infections and diseases.
Foods that children should avoid during rainy season
Following are some foods that parents should strictly not add to their kids’ diet as they may weaken the immunity system and make their children prone to infections and diseases:
- Oily and fried food: Fried foods are not very healthy to eat during rainy season as they slow down the process of digestion.
- Ice creams: Ice creams are among kids’ favourites but they can cause much harm during rainy season. Kids may get infected and catch cough and cold after having ice creams or ice lollies.
- Fish: It is better to avoid fish or any other sea food during rainy season as fish breed during this time so it may affect their quality and taste.
- Mangoes: Mangoes if eaten in rainy season can cause acne, skin problems and digestive problems. The risk increases if a child already has digestive or skin problems.
- Curd: Due to its cooling properties, curd is better not to have in rainy season. Having curd makes you prone to diseases and catching cold.
- Soft drinks: Soft drinks reduce the number of minerals that are present in their body. This leads to a reduction in enzyme activities. This means that soft drinks will make your kids’ digestive system weak and they may easily get sick.
- Street food: Street food is one of the main reasons why children get ill during the rainy season. Chances of contamination are very high in the food that is sold on the streets. Therefore, it is very important to say a strict no to pani puris, bhel puris, momos, etc. Also, avoid eating out at restaurants as much as possible.