Rajesh Bhushan, the Union Health Secretary, will preside over a video conference to assess the progress of immunizations and to direct the States and Union Territories on the booster dosage mission throughout the course of the next 75 days, according to ANI on Thursday.
The booster dosage of the Covid 19 vaccine will be given to anybody over the age of 18 at no charge at all government vaccination centres, according to a special 75-day campaign launched by the Indian government on Wednesday.
Vaccination is an effective tool to fight against COVID-19, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on a micro-blogging site. “Vaccination is an effective means to fight Covid-19. Today’s Cabinet decision (of free precaution dose for all adults) will further India’s vaccination coverage and create a healthier nation.”
“The decision will further strengthen India’s fight against COVID-19 and add an extra layer of safety! I urge all those eligible to get their booster dose at the earliest,” said Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr Mansukh Mandaviya in a tweet
“The scheme will be rolled out from July 15 and continue for the next 75 days,” Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Singh Thakur said in a briefing that was held after a Cabinet meeting.
The Center began its “Har Ghar Dastak 2.0” door-to-door campaign on June 1 in an effort to enhance immunisation rates.
A programme called “Har Ghar Dasak Campaign 2.0” was launched on Wednesday, according to representatives of the Union Health Ministry, with the goal of boosting vaccination rates throughout all of the nation’s states and union territories (UTs) and raising awareness of the beneficiaries.
This year’s campaign will run through July 31.
The Covid-19 immunisation of all beneficiaries whose second dosage is due and who are qualified for a prophylactic dose will be stressed through a door-to-door vaccination push, according to the Union Health Ministry.
Through school-based initiatives, vaccination coverage for children between the ages of 12 and 18 will also be covered.
Earlier on July 6, the Union Health Ministry changed the time frame from the previous 9 months to 6 months between the second COVID vaccination dosage and booster dose.
In June, the NTAGI’s Standing Technical Subcommittee (STSC) advocated shortening the interval between the COVID-19 vaccine’s second and booster doses.
In a letter to States and Union Territories, Union Health Secretary Rajesh Bhushan said, “In view of the evolving scientific evidence and global practices, “Standing Technical Sub Committee” (STSC) of “National Technical Advisory Group on Immunization” (NTAGI) has recommended to revise the duration between 2nd dose and precaution dose from existing 9 months or 39 weeks to 6 months or 26 weeks. This has also been endorsed by NTAGI.”