In a recent letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Indian Medical Association (IMA) has asked to open vaccination for all adults and make vaccination certificated compulsory to “enter public spaces” and access goods via public distribution system.
“Zero tolerance against the noncompliance of COVID appropriate behaviours, augmentation of infrastructure beds and oxygen availability, moral support and enthusiastic engagements of frontline health workers, ensuring adequate health care-protective gears support and strict adherence to the evidence-based treatment protocols are the key factors needed at this moment,” it said.
“The guidelines enforced for test ,trace and treat concept promulgated by the ministry of health was actively implemented across the country to break the chain .However due to the emergent complacent ,mass gatherings without masks , noncompliance of COVID appropriate behaviours and the deterrent mutations in the virus ,had surpassed our efforts to emerge as a fast spreading second wave. Stern implementation and execution of certain pre-emptive efforts will prove the key to contain the fast spreading pandemic,” the letter further mentioned.
In view of rising Covid cases, IMA has further suggested the following measures:
- All citizens above 18 years of age shall be permitted to receive COVID vaccination.
- Walk in COVID vaccination should be available for all, free of cost at their nearest possible place.
- Private sector family clinics also shall be included actively in the vaccination drive along with private hospitals .Availability of vaccination with all doctors &and family physicians will have positive impact on the vaccination drive.
- District level vaccine task force team shall be constituted with public ,private participation to enforce mass vaccination and monitoring and mitigating the Adverse drug events and build confidence. IMA is willing to actively take part in it.
- Vaccination certificate shall be made a mandatory certificate for entering in to public places and receive products under public distribution system.
- As there is acute spurt of this disease as an measure to immediate break the chain , limited period continuous lock down shall be implemented especially for all the non-essential areas like cinema, cultural and religious events, sports,etc.